Finding Pasture


John 10:1-10New International Version (NIV)

The Good Shepherd and His Sheep

10 “Very truly I tell you Pharisees, anyone who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” Jesus used this figure of speech, but the Pharisees did not understand what he was telling them.
Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
This was one of these weeks... I am drained.  I am sure you all have them.  It seemed like all that I got done was work, t-ball, workout, recover from workout (slowly, my dad was right about this getting older thing), and repeat.  I am not complaining because I absolutely would not have it any other way.  Friday evening I went to the celebration of life for Lexi and it helped put it all into perspective, again.  I am so thankful but if I am being honest, sometimes it seems like I am wondering around like a sheep lost from the fold.  It was one of those weeks where Cheyanne says, “So preacher, what are you preaching about on Sunday?”  The best answer I could muster after breaking the silence was “The Bible.”  I am no different than you when it comes to feeling that way.  You may not be feeling it now but you have... or you will.  All of the scriptures in the lectionary related to bringing people in the fold in some way this week.  And I needed that.  It was the reminder that I needed.  It’s nice to be reminded of why we do what we do.  Whether it’s in work, play or faith we somehow bring people into the fold, into the flock and that gets tiresome.  You’ve heard me say this many times but that is what today, every Sunday morning, is all about.  The Holy Spirit has led you to this pasture for reasons you and Him only know.  Sunday mornings are for us to find our pasture and be led by our Shepherd.
 Last week, Joanne shared a story with me about one of the pastors we’ve had fill the pulpit while I was gone.  While you all were greeting one another the pastor encouraged Joanne to start playing the piano to get people to sit down.  She acted like she didn’t hear him the first time and a few moments later he repeated himself.  Joanne sat there in a quiet defiance knowing the importance of that time.  Cherish that time.  Saturday after the t-ball game, I sat on the hill with Cheyanne watching kids roll down the hill while another game was finishing up and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  There isn’t time for hard feelings and grudges.  There isn’t time for bad attitudes or negativity.  We get to live inside of God’s creation for a short amount of time... and at any moment it can be gone.  This isn’t to say that we may spend some times wondering, wandering and wishing but take time to find God in those moments.  And bring people into those moments with you.  
This isn’t a sermon about “only living once.” YOLO! It’s about the relationships that make this life so beautiful.  I am not the perfect t-ball coach, co-worker, parent, spouse or preacher but I am working on it.  Not for my benefit but for the benefit of the Yankees, the Fair, my wife, my kids and each of you.  God doesn’t expect perfection just a willing heart putting forth a valiant effort to bring people to the gate that leads to the pasture.  In our scripture for this morning, Jesus tried using a parable to explain this and the people around him looked at him much like the children look at me during the children’s moment most Sundays.  Within the looks of confusion, Jesus said “Very truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep.”  Our duty is to bring people to the gate and then they look into their relationship with God and decide whether or not they want to enter.  
Cheyanne made the comment to me Friday evening driving to Maxwell that she should drive when we take roads we haven’t been on before.  She has a valid point because I enjoy looking at the lay of the land.  The fields, the farmhouses, the pastures, the types of cattle being raised, and the type of equipment being used.  In other words, I enjoy looking at different pastures.  Not that the grass is greener on the other side but it helps me to appreciate my tiny piece of this beautiful creation.  My mind drifts as I wonder about the people on those farms and in those quiet country churches we sometimes pass.  Not only does my mind wander but Cheyanne is thankful they have put rumble strips on most roads.  
Jesus is part of that mystery, that curiosity.  He is not just the gatekeeper.  He is the gate.  He said, “I am the gate.  Whoever enters through me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture.”  We gather at the gate, together, every Sunday.  Throughout the week you may go to the gate but Sunday’s are about the relationships we have with one another and with the gate.  When I traveled in Wales, Ireland and Scotland, we would come across these random rock structures.  They were walls built of small boulders that stood about three feet tall.  They were square in nature with a small opening in one spot.  I asked about them and then when researching for this sermon, I recalled what I was told.  That small opening is where the gate was.  These were placed in grazing plateaus so shepherds could bring the fold to them at night and only have to watch a small opening.  There wasn’t really a physical gate to speak of, just the shepherd.  The shepherd would sleep in that opening so the only way the sheep could get through that opening was literally over his body.  I believe this is what Jesus meant when he said he was the gate.  Through Jesus, and through him alone, people access God.  Picture it like this: all of God’s creation is within those walls.  We are all apart of the fold, confined within those boulder laden structures.  Under the cover of night and darkness, we are confined to this area.  However, there is small opening.  But there is a man laying across that opening and the only way to get into the beauty and freedom and light is over is body.  You see, we may know nothing more than those walls if we never venture out that gate.  We may have no idea what lays on the other side and may become content with where we are constantly wondering if there is more.  There is.  It’s just on the other side of the gate.  We do not necessarily know what is over there, which is part of the mystery of God, and we have to go through the gatekeeper but once we do, the beauty, freedom and light of God’s love radiates within us.  Jesus opens the way to God.  He is the gate that grants access to God.  
Jesus used the phrase “come in and go out” which at first look seems confusing.  This is a well-known Hebrew phrase that describes something absolutely secure and safe.  William Barclay says it like this, “When a person can go in and out without fear, it means that their country is at peace, that the forces of law and order are supreme, and that they enjoy perfect security.”  Perfect security allows fears to subside.  Cora is the “monsters phase” right now.  She finds this perfect security by telling herself that they are outside and therefore cannot get her.  This allows her to sleep without worry.  There is a lot to be concerned about but there is also something to be said about the perfect security found in a relationship with God.  If our life is known to be in the hands of God, the worries and fears are allowed to escape us.  I believe it to be our insecurities that take us away from Christ and away from the fold.  Take those worries and fears and sins to the gate and just see how the world opens up to you.  Jesus promises, “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”  Perfect security found in the love that Jesus has for us allows us to find our pasture.  My prayer is that this is a church of perfect security that always welcomes those into the pasture and helps those find their way to the gate.  My prayer is that we all have life to the full by going through the gate and into the mysterious love and grace of God.




      

Comments

Popular Posts