Painting the Picture of the Kingdom of Heaven

Matthew 13:31-33New International Version (NIV)

The Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Yeast

31 He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed,which a man took and planted in his field. 32 Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.”
33 He told them still another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into about sixty pounds of flour until it worked all through the dough.”

Matthew 13:44-52New International Version (NIV)

The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl

44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.
45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.

The Parable of the Net

47 “Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. 48 When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. 49 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
51 “Have you understood all these things?” Jesus asked.
“Yes,” they replied.
52 He said to them, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.”

As I read through this scripture earlier in the week, I thought each of these mini-parables would be great to preach on.  So as I start to prepare and start thinking about how to go about preaching this scripture, all I can imagine is the length of the sermon.  Do you remember that time when I made that really long list of things to talk about??? It was so long it was going to take two sermons to cover?  I learned an important lesson that day... Lists do not make great sermon material.  Luckily, I was aware enough back then to notice just how intriguing that sermon was to not continue it onto the next Sunday.  I was almost panicking in how to get through all of these parables in one sermon and avoid the dreaded list and not keep everyone here until 11.  But don’t worry, there isn’t any list nor is the sermon too long.  
#1.... Just kidding!  I want to start with my absolute favorite part of this scripture.  Just like last week, the disciples make what I call another “comedic appearance.”  What I mean by this is Jesus is going through these parables trying to explain the kingdom of heaven.  He uses 5 parables to make his explanation clear and then asks the disciples, “Have you understood all these things?”  To which they simply reply, “Yes.”  I laughed out loud when I read that... Maybe I am wrong but I have a difficult time believing they grasped every aspect of what Jesus was trying to explain to them.  I see them saying “yes” with confidence when Jesus was around but when he goes away to rest or pray they sit around and discuss/argue/question what he just told them amongst themselves.  It’s easy for me to draw this conclusion since I draw different meanings from some of these parables when compared to some of the commentaries I read or listen to.  This makes it hard for me to believe that all the disciples were on the same page when they replied “yes” as Jesus checked their understanding.  
For example, the lectionary podcast I listen to explains the “Hidden Treasure” and “Pearl” parables as finding the kingdom of heaven in ordinary places and is worth up all that we are.  I won’t argue their claims and believe they may be correct.  I am going to read them again, “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.  Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls.  When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.”  I can definitely see where they gather their understanding of what these parables are saying but I have a different take: I think we are the treasure.  I believe God is the man who found the treasure, sold all of his belongings and bought the field.  To me, the parable seems like the God gave up everything to purchase us from the grasp of sin and death.  God gave his one and only son into the hands of man.  Christ was crucified (God giving up all His possessions) and bought our freedom from death.  And same for the parable of the pearl.  God is the merchant looking for fine pearls.  He has found one of great value (you) and He has gone away to sell everything He had to purchase it.  I don’t know that the gentlemen who do the podcast are wrong or that I am right but thinking of God as someone who gave up everything to give me eternal life only exemplifies the nature of His love and grace.  It is truly amazing to think that we have gathered here this morning to worship a God who loves us so deeply that He gave up everything to save us.  It’s truly remarkable to think about.  You are the hidden treasure.  You are the pearl.  
Yesterday, I arrived at the Fairgrounds a little before 6 in the morning with the streets and campgrounds nearly empty.  As the day went on, more and more of the food vendors and campers set up their booths, camping spots and tents.  It was kind of amazing to see how different things looked in the course of nine hours.  Everyone busy working on their own individual job.  State Fair electricians were going around hooking everyone up to power.  Maintenance staff spent time getting pens ready in the barns and hanging signs, banners and flags.  The print shop was making signs and setting them out.  Campers were busy building decks and digging holes for their campers.  I spent the day hauling around and placing ice merchandisers.  Fair staff was painting, building, getting everyone into place.  Midway workers were putting rides together.  The custodial staff was doing their final touches on buildings and restrooms.  Slowly, I could see the Fair as I know it start to take shape.  There were some slight changes but it all seemed incredibly familiar.  I have always known that it must take an army to facilitate over 100k people per day but I had no idea the work involved by so many different people to make it all come together.  It is truly a sight to behold.  As I tell you this, I think of you like the disciples.... Here I am trying to explain something to you and no matter how I do it, it is difficult for you to gain a complete grasp of all that goes on.  Jesus is trying to explain to the disciples what the kingdom of heaven is like and while they think they grasp what it means on the surface, it is hard for me to believe that they truly grasp the depths to which Jesus is speaking.  I don’t point this out to belittle them or any of you, instead, I point it out because it is a matter of perspective.  
It is that perspective that I think offers us the best glimpse into the kingdom of heaven.  For some of the poorest countries on earth, clean drinking water may resemble the kingdom of heaven when you and I take it for granted.  For someone who lost a loved one, seeing their legacy live on in some way may resemble the kingdom of heaven.  Take the playset out here for example: when someone drives by or their kids play on it, they may appreciate the playset but they may have no idea the depths of its importance or meaning.  A child who receives clothing or gifts from a complete stranger may see that warmth as a resemblance of the kingdom of heaven and to us it is simply second hand.  I recently watched a video of a young child who received Cochlear implants hear her mother’s voice for the first time.  That child may be too young to realize it now but as her face lit up you could see a glimpse into the kingdom of heaven.  The kingdom of heaven is matter of perspective and we are the artists that paint that picture to those who haven’t seen it.  Every day, you paint that picture of what the kingdom looks like so please, choose your brush strokes carefully, always remembering that they too are the treasure.... And the pearl. Amen.



Comments

Popular Posts