Finding Purpose

Mark 1:14-20New International Version (NIV)

Jesus Announces the Good News

14 After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God.15 “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believethe good news!”

Jesus Calls His First Disciples

16 As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 17 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 18 At once they left their nets and followed him.
19 When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. 20 Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him.

The other night Cheyanne reminded me of the sermon I gave about this time last year as we were looking to fill the last couple spots in our church leadership team.  I didn’t recall it but she said it was good so I will have to take her word for it.  She told me I didn’t use my notes and I just wung it.  To be honest, I still don’t remember the sermon she was talking about but it must have worked because we filled the positions.  So, here we are, another year and we find ourselves looking to fill a deacon and a deaconess position and I can’t help but to think why.  Why is that we find ourselves in the same situation year after year?  Perhaps we don’t have the time.  Maybe we are pretty committed to other aspects of life and the last thing we need is to commit to something else.  Maybe I do not inspire or stir your spirit enough to help you make that commitment.  Maybe.  Maybe.  Maybe.  The reasons could be long and full-proof.  What I find interesting is that our attendance and giving are both up and yet we struggle to fill the positions that require the most coveted thing we possess: our time.  I get it.  Trust me.  I get it.  We are pulled this direction and that direction.  We have basketball/wrestling/volleyball/football/softball and baseball games, a lot of which are now also played on Sunday.  We have work commitments and other duties that require so much of us that, man alive, we just want some time to yourself and Sunday mornings are the only time we get that.  I get it.  As some of you like to point out, I vented some of my frustrations with all the demands on my time last year and then I ran for city council.  Trust me, I know how you feel.  
That being said, my desire isn’t to guilt a couple folks into filling those positions because that is what drives volunteer fatigue.  If you aren’t totally committed to something, then you don’t really want to be there and the duty turns into an undesirable chore.  And I think we all know how well tasks are performed when deemed in such a manner.  All I have to do is force my kids to clean their room and I will see the results first hand.  If I can convince them to take pride in their project, own it, and make it theirs then the results are tenfold better.  Empowering them to make their own decisions creates a better outcome.  As I read and thought about our scripture for this morning, part of me wondered if all this went down exactly as it states.  Was it that simple?  Did Jesus really just walk beside the Sea of Galilee, yell to Simon and Andrew “Hey, you two, come and follow me.  I will send you out to fish for people” and they hop out their boat and follow him?  Then the next episode is nearly identical only we don’t know what Jesus said to James and John as they left their father in the boat.  In that short amount of time, how did Jesus inspire and empower those guys enough to drop the only thing they had known and follow him?  In the brevity of that moment, how did they deem Jesus worthy of following and not some lunatic wandering the shores of the sea?  Perhaps, today’s culture has ruined our perspective on the scenarios found in this scripture.  
To us, the whole thing sounds a little crazy but look at this way: how many of you have seen an ad and shortly after bought the item?  How many of you have been mesmerized by the pop, gum or candy bar strategically placed on the end cap or checkout line?  How many of you have bought something on Amazon on a whim and then added to the order because Amazon suggested other products that other people have bought when purchasing the same item you are?  So, while the gospel of Mark portrays this very quick sequence of events that seems odd to us, is it really that odd when we think about it?  Following a man that you hardly know on a whim seems crazy and yet a lot of purchases are made in the same manner.  It’s kind of crazy to think about really.  In moments like this one and so many others spread throughout the gospels, Jesus seems to almost instantly inspire someone to action.  Through one lens it seems a little crazy but based on our current spending habits, maybe it’s not all that crazy.  
But I keep going back to the question of how Jesus was able to get these folks to jump on board so quickly.  I believe there was never any doubt in his mind.  He had a clearly defined purpose and lived every aspect of his life by that purpose.  People were drawn to him for that reason.  That is what made his so appealing.  It is what makes him appealing to this day.  We are starving for some clarity and it’s right in front of our faces.  We desire to know what is right and how to live but we cannot do either if we don’t have a clearly defined purpose.  Before anything else, we have to figure out our why.  Why do we go to church in the first place?  Why do we give to the church?  Why do I do the job I do?  Why do I love my spouse?  Why do I personally follow Jesus?  Why am I here this morning?  Of course, you can go to church, give to the church, go to work, love your spouse, and follow Jesus without answering why.  But I warn you of doing so.  In doing those things without a clear answer of why offers no direction or purpose.  It leads you down a path full of doubt and hesitation.  It makes the path that much more difficult to maneuver.  It’s like trying to get to the restroom that is on a different floor in a house that you are not used to staying in with no lights on.  Every time you clearly define your why, another light switch comes and makes the path just a little easier to navigate.  

That is the exact reason Jesus was and is such an attractive person to follow.  He clearly understood his purpose.  That is why there was no hesitation on his part.  Those who followed him struggled to answer their why at times and their behavior showed us the proof of that, ie - Peter denying Jesus three times, the number of times the disciples struggled to find the faith necessary to calm the storm, walk on water and trust the teachings of Christ.  However, answering your why is difficult, it takes time and effort figuring it out.  It is worth it.  I have found myself wandering around that house in the dark but figuring out my why when it comes to preaching, working at the fair, and being a husband and father has helped me flip the lights on slowly to navigate the path that lies before me.  It’s not perfect, nor is it always apparent, but there is a purpose behind the madness now.  And giving each aspect of your life purpose ties them together which enables us to move without the death grip that hesitation and doubt have on us which severely handicaps our abilities at times.  Spend time defining your purpose.  Spend time leaving the boat and following Jesus.  Amen.   

Comments

Popular Posts